Friday, February 12, 2010

My Assoc. photog is finally here - Meet Katherine Shamoun

The impression that an associate photographer is “less than” is not true.
For the last six months I've been searching for an associate photographer who could complement me.
Most important, I've been looking for a creative mind and soul who has the same passion and commitment to this art called photography that I do.

My search is over. Meet Katherine Shamoun.


You can check out her work going to:
http://letmegrowstudio.net > galleries > Katherine Shamoun

and her info is under:
http://letmegrowstudio.net > details > on-location portraits

"I look for the positives in every situation, and the beauty in every person. The belief that everyone deserves gorgeous images of themselves and their family at a reasonable price is my philosophy.  
I bought my first camera when I started teaching 10 years ago. I was fascinated with taking pictures of my endearing 3rd graders. After my first daughter was born, we went to a creative photography studio and paid a premium amount just to be rushed out before the next client, and left disappointed with the experience. Soon after, I received my first DSLR as a gift (from my awesome in-laws), and fell in love with creating images of my own. I soon learned that a fancy camera does not make a good photographer.
I started attending courses, devouring books, researching online, and constantly taking pictures of my babies and students. I have also been blessed with endless advice and guidance from Rosie Hernandez and Susan Shamoun, two outstanding photographers that have my respect and admiration. 
My passion and talent for photography has continued to grow. I love shooting on location, using as much available light as possible to capture real moments.  I am obsessed with this never-ending, ever changing challenge to understand this intricate art. I am a helpless romantic, born optimist, nurturing mother and teacher, who loves taking stunning images.
I would love to take some of you and your family.
" - Katherine


Why am I getting an associate photography?

- I'm only human.
Yes, my day has only 24 hours like yours. The idea of adding another photographer to the team has being in my mind for a while. Time to make it happens.

- Location, location, location.
90% of my projects are home-studio and event (e-sessions, weddings, religious celebrations, etc.) photography. A decent amount of current and potential clients ask for on-location sessions, meaning @ their homes, by the beach, etc.

- Plan A, B and C.
One of my biggest fears is not being able to capture customer's images due to "out of my control" circumstances (illness, accident, you name it) and unfortunately, that could happen.
I want to be able to delegate my committed assignments ONLY if I have to. To do that I need a reliable professional by my side.

- Not all the jobs are for me.
That's a reality so... why not to expose someone's else talent and being able to make the connection between you and her?
I want to give to my customers plenty of options to pick from.

- What if...
You want two photographers to capture your upcoming event.
Groom and bride are getting ready on separated locations and both of them want pre-ceremony pictures done.
I need help for some dramatic lighting setup at your photoshoot.
etc, etc, etc.
Team effort is the solution to all these situations... and then some.

- Balancing act.
Last year I worked way too much leaving little time for my family and I.
2009 was an incredible journey, personal and professionally speaking but spending some quality time with my loved ones is part of enjoying life :)

Rosie

2 comments:

nonna2 said...

I am So excited for both of you! Two amazing women, both so creative, talented and artistic. Not to mention, beautiful personalities, difeerent, yet complimentary to each other. It's like a "match made in heaven". Good luck Rosie & Kathy, my two special friends!

Theresa Olah said...

I have seen Katherine's work and I am impressed! She is an artist with a camera!